Tuesday, March 13, 2007

March 4th-Rueben…Are you for scuba?





Yes…today I went scuba diving…the kind with full out gear. It was very surreal. Scuba diving was always something done in the movies and my opportunity just kind of sprung up. A meeting at school left students with the opportunity to go on a “Discovery Dive” with a local scuba company. I jumped on it, knowing I would be kicking myself if I saw photos of others exploring the Mediterranean coast.

20 of us got up at 9 AM and walked 5 minutes to the scuba shop. The man that met us…Yoti…not joking…reminded me of the fellow from “Along Came Polly”. For those of you who have seen this movie…you will know what I am talking about and have a chuckle. He had the long hair going, accent to match and just the general feel of the man in the movie. This was naturally a great start to the excursion. More and more instructors started to show up. The group was divided into the instructors’ cars and the drive to Halkidiki started. Halkidiki is the group of 3 peninsulas that lie west of Thessaloniki. This is the summer hot spot where all Thessalonians head to on the weekends and summers. It was a BEAUTIFUL hour drive.

Side note: Petro went to Halkidiki with a family friend the day before. He came back and naturally I asked him how it was. He immediately started to talk about the drive to Halkidiki. He spoke of colors….vivid vivid colors. I knew exactly what he was talking about as soon as we got out of the city on our drive. Maybe it was because Petro had put it in my head, but the greens, blues and browns of the countryside really did appear overly vivid. It was amazing. Oh, yeah, and Mt. Olympus was in clear view out the shotgun window. That mountain just does not look real. Again my love for mountains over took me here.

3 comments:

LC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LC said...

Darwin -

Looks like you are having a blast! I am so happy for you - - although we do miss you here.

Sending our love -
Christie & Gus

badger59 said...

This is Uncle Du and Aunt Sharon and Uncle Larry arrived today. Phyllis and I wish you the best.

I have visited Athens twice many years ago and vividly remember the restaurants and bar along the Plaka. Especially Fixe beer. Hope you have good time and I envy your experiences. Be good and can't wait to see you and hear more about your adventures. Especially the diving since I have over 125 dives, several down to 200 feet. Bye, Uncle Du